Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Healing For My Wounded Soul

A few years ago, someone gave me one of the most valuable gifts I've ever received. My good friend presented me an autographed copy of Healing the Masculine Soul by Gordon Dalby. And I'm still trying to process many of the concepts that Gordon presented.

On my way to the gym this morning, I was thinking about some of the "wounds" in my own soul -- and how my life has been influenced by these "things" or "scars" or whatever else one could call them. And sitting here today, I've been thinking about how most people have "wounds" in their lives ... and the real issue becomes not the "woundedness" but what one does once they are in "recovery."

Think about Michael Phelps.

This marvelous athlete didn't grow up in the "lap of luxury" from all indications. He grew up in a single parent home (which is better than a NO parent home), and was diagnosed early on with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). Many folks thought he would be mediocre at best.

And he's ANYTHING but mediocre. He can now claim the title of being the BEST OLYMPIAN of all time! He has exhibited that attitude of humility, confidence, gratitude, and great poise ... all at the same time. And he's one INCREDIBLE swimmer on top of all that!

But we don't have to look to the field of "star athletes" to find "wounded" folks. I can start by simply looking in the mirror (which reminds me of another story, but then again MOST things remind me of a story). The "wounded" man I see in the mirror can overcome the worst obstacles that are placed in his path. But he must want to overcome them. Simply wishing it were so -- or even wishing it were different, accomplishes nothing. The Lord helps us overcome ... because HE has overcome death, hell, and the grave. We can overcome the "wounds" because He was WOUNDED for us.

Starting today, I plan to "overcome" all the wounds I find in my life.

[Phil Hoover]

No comments: