Monday, June 29, 2009

Dr. Elgarnet Rahming Awarded Distinguished Order by Queen Elizabeth

The spiritual father of the Church of God of Prophecy in the Bahamas, Bishop Elgarnet Rahming, has been awarded the Companion of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George (CMG) by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth 11 in her birthday honors of 2009. He says the honor announced by Government House is an "encouragement and incentive" to continue with his work for the Lord.

"I would think that those whom I lead, whom I provide fatherly mentorship to and council, and give advice to, I would hope that they would see this honor as something that they too could be proud of, that their spiritual father has been recognized in this way," said Rahming, the presiding bishop and national overseer. He received the honor for his untiring efforts and invaluable contributions to the growth and development of the country in the field of religion.

"But my greatest zeal and goal and objective really is to please the Lord — to serve the Lord, and to be faithful and consistent and steadfast in the work of the Lord while I help to build the lives of people. At the end of the day, this award is wonderful. It's an encouragement. It gives inspiration and it feels good, but at the end of the day, I am laboring for my eternal reward which the righteous judge promises to give to me, if I remain true and faithful." Rahming, 57, was one of 10 people honored for their contributions to either religion or the church.

"This surprise, and unexpected honor bestowed upon me by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II through the graces of the government of The Bahamas means a whole lot to me. It means that the work that I do, and have been doing over the years, has been noticed by the government to the extent that they deem it necessary to honor me in this way. More importantly though, anybody who knows me closely and intimately knows that I am what one would term a 'workaholic.' I am a 'workaholic' for the Lord. I enjoy working for the Lord, going the extra mile. In any 24-hour day I can work for the Lord 18-hours non-stop. And I do it not for selfish reasons, not for pride, not for show, I do it simply because of my love for him, and to uplift people, spiritually and socially — wherever I go, wherever ministry takes me," said Rahming.

He says it is his desire to improve the spiritual and social well being of people, and he believes that the medium of the gospel, and witnessing the gospel gives him the platform and the opportunity to do just that, and that he takes full advantage of it.

The announcement comes as the Church of God of Prophecy celebrates is 100th centennial anniversary of witness in the country.

"For me to have been selected for an honor at a time such as this is really a double celebration, and we certainly give God honor and thanks for that," said the son of Bishop Clifford Wenzel Rahming and the late Vera Chipman-Rahming.

Rahming accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Saviour on Dec. 31, 1977, and became a member of the Church of God of Prophecy on May 28, 1978. He was licensed as an evangelist in July, 1984 and as a permanent evangelist in May, 1995. He was ordained and consecrated bishop in March, 1997. Rahming was appointed and installed as national overseer of the Church of God of Prophecy in the Bahamas on August 22, 1999.

Rahming obtained a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Business Administration, and is a graduate of the Church of God of Prophecy's Bible Training Institute. He has also completed a number of advanced courses, and holds numerous other diplomas and certificates from various theological institutions in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. He was awarded a doctorate of divinity degree from the Richmond Virginia Seminary, Richmond, Virginia, U.S.A.

Government House also announced that Lowell Mortimer got an Order of the British Empire (OBE) honor for outstanding service to the public service, church and community.

Most Excellent Order of The British Empire (MBEs ) went to Sandra Moore (church and community); Canon Fitz Goodridge (religion); Basil Christie (community service, education, religion and Special Olympics); The British Empire Medal (BEM) is being awarded to Arthur M. Sherman Jr. (civics and religion); Wendell Carver Grant Sr. (civics and religion); Doddridge MacLagan Hart (public service, church and the community); Oswald Cory Munnings (financial services industry and the church) and Reverend Wilbur St. Clair Outten (community and religion).

[By SHAVAUGHN MOSS, Lifestyles Editor, The Nassau Guardian]

No comments: