Wednesday, January 14, 2009

How Do You Treat People?

I try to treat everyone I meet like a V.I.P. I don’t always do it perfectly, but it really is my intention. It’s part of a commitment I made to God to avoid showing favoritism in accordance with James 2:1.

And maybe part of my reason for doing it is knowing what it feels like to be on the receiving end of an encounter with a person who doesn’t think you’re very important. I have a lot of memories of talking to people at, say, church growth conferences, and the whole time I was trying to get to know them their eyes were darting everywhere looking for someone more important to interact with. I found that demeaning, and I never want anyone to experience that because of me.

How much value could you add to the people in your life if you starting trying to treat each of them like the most important person in the world as you interacted with them?

[from "Pastor Steven Furtick" by Steven Furtick]

No comments: