Fasting Truly Humbles You
Fasting is a biblical way to truly humble yourself in the sight of God. King David said, “I humble myself through fasting.” (Ezra 8:21)
On your eleventh day of fasting, remember:
- Drink water or juice throughout the day
- Rest and relax
- Go to your prayer time and prayer place
- Write your experience in your prayer journal
- Continue to meditate and listen to God
- Sugar free mints will keep your breath fresh
- Speak with your accountability partner from your group.
- Decreasing weight
- The Lord’s presence becomes more apparent
- Cravings are still apparent
Today’s Quote: “Most of the fasts mentioned in the Bible were public fasts initiated by the priests; Jesus gave us the model for private fasts in Matthew 6:16-18 and 9:14-15. - Jentezen Franklin
Thoughts for your Journal:
- Humility is a discipline and not something that just comes naturally. Fasting places one truly in the hands of God, dependent upon Him for spiritual nourishment in the absence of physical nourishment. Journal how this experience has humbled you and made you trust God more.
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Oh God, most gracious heavenly Father, that you would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain (to You, my loved ones, my church family, to those who stand in need of your love, mercy, and salvation -- or to myself). May You be glorified, Oh lovely and loving One. Thank You in Jesus' name, amen.