Here are 10 guaranteed ways you can fail as a leader. (Just like the character George Costanza from the show Seinfeld, read this list and then make sure to do exactly the opposite.)
1. Control. Remember exercise control, you are the team leader, what you says goes!
2. Don't affirm or praise. You don't want your team members to get soft, therefore it is important to motivate with fear and intimidation.
3. Delegate and then do it yourself. This will drive your team crazy, but at least you will be able to sleep well at night knowing that the work got done right.
4. Make sure the team members are there to make you look good. Because isn't that what building and working with a team is all about?
5. Take the credit and pass on the blame to others.
6. Fill your team with people less talented than you. You don't want people to outshine you. Besides, who are you really going to find more intelligent and with more experience than you?
7. Fill your team with people just like you. Could there be a more ideal team than one comprised of multiple versions of the same you?
8. Make sure you micro-manage people's work. Get in their business and second guess all their decisions. Don't give them the freedom to be creative or innovate.
9. Don't welcome honest feedback.
10. Make sure the team is just there to implement your own ideas. Don't let the team come up with any original ideas. You are the one where all ideas, especially the good ones, are to originate.
I have known leaders guilty of many of these mistakes without lossing their job. But, their days are numbered.
[from Ministry Best Practices by Bill Reichart]