Monday, March 10, 2008

Restoring Honor To The Clergy

[From Pastor Steven Furtick by sf]

I hope that, in my lifetime, God will allow me to be a part of restoring the virtue of honor back to the pastoral ministry. Beyond that: I want to help restore honor to the body of Christ in general. My generation has done a pretty phenomenal job of obliterating the concept of honor and discarding it, regarding it as old fashioned. If you ask me, we've sucked all the honor out of many of our ministries by being a little too cavalier and far too critical for our own good.

As for me, by God’s grace I’ll do my part to model and inspire honor in my generation by:
  • Living an honorable life. (Keeping my pants on, keeping my hands off the money, keeping my word, etc. A good place to start, for sure.)
  • Speaking honorably of other ministers and ministries. There’s a time and place to evaluate critically.
  • Giving honor to other men of God who are a blessing to me. Even to the point of going overboard … I want to honor those God has used in my life. This is Scriptural, and I find it to be deeply gratifying and rewarding.
Who can you show honor to today? Do it.

No comments: